|One fact about me is that this is NOT my camera. Those are, however, the best $3 sunglasses I've ever owned.|
I'm not applying for business school, but in the interest of making a list (one of my favorite things to do) here are the 25 most weird things about me.
1. I am double jointed in 8 of my fingers. I used to freak out my teachers by holding my pencil in between the first and second joint of my pointer finger. It's pretty gross.
2. I'm 27 and I've never owned a car. I drove my parents' cars in high school, lived in Washington, DC for college, and rode the subways for 5 years in and out of Manhattan. In Montana, I've been getting around on a jenkity bike, and relying on the awesomeness of my friends. Oh, and walking. I've lost 6 pounds since moving here.
3. I've been to 35 states and 15+ countries. The + is because we used to cruise for family reunions when I was in college and I think I was drunk for most of those Caribbean islands.
4. I have an overwhelming obsession with clay mud masks. I'll do one on my lunch break, while blogging, or as I'm cooking dinner. I don't even really think it helps my skin all that much, but it makes my face feel like it's got glue on it.
5. I have one or two best friends for each stage of my life. I'm social. I go out and can have fun and can pretty much talk to anyone about anything. But my best friends? One from high school, one or two from college, one from my early life in New York, one from right before I left New York. Still trying to find my "person" here in Montana, though I know he/she is out there.
6. I am more comfortable on first dates than I am on second dates. Something about second dates indicating that there's more to the story than on a first date. And also, I went on many a blind date in Manhattan, so first dates are like routine dental exams. Sometimes they're even more fun!
7. I believe in the universe and chakra systems and other mind-body-connection things. Blame it on the yoga.
8. I've never dreamed about my wedding. I dream about my own business, I dream about living in my own apartment. But nope. Wedding's not on the mind.
9. I believe in the good in people more than I believe in the bad. In all of my travels, I've never once been taken advantage of. Even that one time when I got into a Vietnamese beach town at 2am and a man offered to take me to a hostel on the back of his motorbike. Could have been terrible. Ended up being fine.
10. I don't wash my hair more than 2x a week. I have dry mountain air to thank for that.
11. I'm a vegan, 5 days a week. And I live in Montana. Some people think it's weird. Most people wonder how I can live off of simply fruits, vegetables, and grains. May I point you in the direction of almost all Mediterranean and Asian cultures?
12. I was a classical ballerina for 10 years. Hated tights. Went the hip-hop route instead. Competed in jeans, Air Force Ones, and sideways fitted hats for four years in college. Had dreams of dancing backup for Justin Timberlake. Sort of glad it happened my way.
13. I ran 5 marathons. 4 in the same year, 3 in 3 consecutive months. And now I know enough about marathoning to never have the urge to do it again.
14. I wear yoga pants almost every day. Sometimes I trade them out for jeans, but since I teach 3 days a week, yoga pants are like my suits. Or at least that's what I tell myself.
15. I can name all nine Supreme Court Justices. This isn't really that hard to memorize, but it's an impressive party trick.
16. I've never broken a bone. Or torn a ligament. Or been in the hospital for anything. I'm almost afraid to say that outloud, but I've still got some karma cards in my hand so hopefully nothing terrible happens now that the secret's out.
17. It's easier for me to move than stay put. Maybe it's because I know it could always be way worse, or because I find comfort in the ability to go with the flow and make the best of shitty situations. Either way, change is my coffee. Exciting!
18. I'm a beach girl. And I live in a mountain town. So, while it's beautiful here and I'm having so much fun learning the ins and outs of this place, I really, really miss sand between my toes.
19. If I could have one dream come true for my entire life it would be to work for myself. That's how I define freedom. The ability to put time into projects in which I find value instead of because someone else tells me to do them.
20. I don't love cats. There are exceptions, but for the most part, cats get a sneer. I do, however, melt at the sight of tiny dogs.
21. I have an insatiable wanderlust. The past six months, other than a jaunt home or two, I have lived and stayed exclusively in Montana. The one thing I miss about living in New York is the freedom to hop a plane to pretty much anywhere without more than a few days of planning.
22. I am extremely emotional. Crying at the movies, during a concert, and at the top of a mountain. And one time, when it was so cold in Colorado, I cried as my toes started to warm in the ski lodge.
23. Sarcastic as all get out. I have 3 siblings and sometimes I forget how to relate to people outside of the confines of sarcasm.
24. March Madness IS MY JAM. I can talk circles around college basketball. I spent 20 minutes putting into my calendar every televised Georgetown basketball game. I'll go along with the Super Bowl, but come March, your bracket better WATCH OUT.
25. Yoga is my sport. I'm an athlete. I can hack it at running, skiing, climbing, CrossFit, biking, backpacking, mountaineering. But yoga is my thing. It gets me strong, keeps me focused, and if it's a sweaty flow, always makes me feel really. damn. good. every day that I do it.
Okay, your turn. What are some fun facts about you?